Saturday, September 15, 2012

Match the Hatch

It's funny, I have been reading Lefty Kreh's book, "Fly Fishing in Saltwater" and was thinking about writing a little something about it on here.  That was until I ran across a post by Moldychum, "Matchin the Hatch".  A basic dry fly fishing idea, and there was a real nice False Albie as well as a beautifully tied fly.  The idea is simple, present the most readily available food source, and match the color/shape as best as possible.  Not really all that different from dry-fly hatches, or emerging insects on Northern rivers.  The idea of presenting to a rising trout, employ's the same skill as dropping a Crazy Charlie in front of a cruising Redfish.

"Matching the Hatch" by Ernest G. Schwiebert, was something I read over the summer while at my families home in Pennsylvania.  It was my grandfathers book from the 50's and it is as relevant now as it was then.  The ideas are practical and the concepts are valid, only thing is it is limited in its geography.  When I lived in the Pa., there was something magical about seining bugs, from kicked up rocks or gravel beds, maybe scooping scuds from grass-beds?  It was great to see what was scooting around in the rocks and grasses.  Now in Florida, I seldom if ever turn my back to the river and scuttle around looking for bugs.  I respect that I am not the alfa predator and instead of scouting for bugs, I scout for rising fish from my canoe.

To match the hatch around Florida for Bass, I usually check my windshield, the sides of the road, the sidewalks, and the myriad of bait-fish that are either native or migrating through the rivers. I like the top-water action and have always had a soft spot for any fish taking something from the surface.  I'm still learning the dragon fly and I know as soon as I can get one that floats correctly, I'll have a winner.  I always see bass jumping or rising to dragon flies on one particular stretch of the local river.  It would seem that if the normal terrestrial pattern fails, the splat of a dragon fly might get a rise from a stubborn bass.

Matching the hatch in saltwater is a whole other ball of wax.  I want to bring that one up another time.  I will have to pay Lefty his due, his book has been so influential for so many people.  Matching the hatch when your surf casting is a little bit simpler, because the bait has a tendency to wash a shore.  It doesn't make any easier, especially if there is a breeze or at worst a steady wind.  There is something a little disconcerting about heaving a weighted, bulky, or ridiculously large fly past your head at incredible speeds.  Thank you Moldy Chum for reminding me again why this is my favorite pastime.

No comments:

Post a Comment